Everyone loves the holidays, but it can be a challenge thinking of just the right gift for a loved one or family friend with dementia. Here are a few tips put together by the Alzheimer’s Association.
A family member or friend with early stage dementia will certain appreciate any of these gifts:
- Tickets to a sporting event, concert or musical.
- A fruit basket, frozen meals or any meal that can be easily prepared/reheated and healthy.
- Photo albums and/or collage of family and friend’s photos.
Middle stage dementia is a little trickier. Focus on gifts that are familiar and organized.
- A simple craft project that involves sorting and arranging or cutting.
- Books featuring celebrities, historical place and nature. Photos are a big plus!
The late stage of dementia is complicated as their comprehension and understanding levels are poor.
- Visits from well-behaved animals they have enjoyed.
- Lap robes, shawls and warm footwear to keep warm as their circulation isn’t good.
- Stuffed animals, dolls, or pillows to provide comfort.
- Hand and body lotion.
Finally, remember to enjoy the holidays for what they bring now.